Saturday, February 29, 2020

A Win


There are days when I feel that I have tried to do many things, but none of them have really worked out great. That maybe I should stop stressing myself out and just have fun.
There was one particular moment this month when I was seriously questioning myself.
Why am I persisting with a blog that no one reads anymore?

Why am I slogging on weekends trying to learn writing fiction when it doesn’t come naturally?

Why was I painstakingly breaking my head and my shoulder trying to write stories for a competition when none of them had been good enough to be in the top ten of any month of this writing season?

Shouldn’t I accept the reality and my limitations and set goals that were more real, more achievable?

My phone rang. The number displayed looked like a call-center one, but since I was not doing anything else I answered. The lady confirmed my identity and then told me that I had been shortlisted for Upamanyu Chatterjee’s writing prompt and requested me to be online when they declared the winners on twitter and Facebook!

The timing made it seem like the universe hugging me!

I logged on right after 1.00 pm. Didn’t seem to look too eager even to myself.

The 10th winner had already been announced. It was not me.
Last season, I had been at 9th position for one month. No, I was not 9th either.
I was sweating when I realized I wasn’t even at 8th.
After they declared the 7th position, I signed out.

I was not putting myself through this tension. It wasn’t like an exam I had to pass to get a degree and a job. 

Maybe, shortlisting didn’t mean top ten. Maybe that call was a mistake.

I started preparing lunch and then heard a beep. I had forgotten to sign out of twitter.

I was at Number 3!

It felt like something out there reached out and told me that the time and effort I had spent wasn’t all in vain. And that I needed to keep going, keep writing.



No comments:

Post a Comment