Friday, January 24, 2020

Random reads

It’s wonderful being a random reader in the age of WhatsApp and twitter and insta. You get to read all 50 shades of a story and are free to ignore all of them or post your own emotional rant against each one of them. And then strangers love your post or spew venom in broken grammar and badly contracted spellings. 

That’s when it gets too much and you decide you are better off keeping your thoughts to myself and getting off the grid. So now I check Facebook only to wish 'Happy Birthday' to people whom I am not on casual calling terms, scroll a little more if I have time, read posts only from a handful of people and log out. I am off twitter. And I check Insta only to see what the kids are up to.

I am still on a couple of WhatsApp groups to stay connected with the neighbourhood-and have learned to tune out the motivational quotes and good morning wishes, but the random reader in me still reads through articles on Dr Campbells vegan diet just as casually as those on high protein Paleo recipes and Intermittent fasting. My weight goes up and down a few hundred grams every week without implementing any of them.

There are articles on saying ‘no’ to children, and those telling you to set them free. Travel accounts of complete strangers and warnings about strange men posing as Indane gas agents who will hypnotize you if you open the door. But all of these, I read only on a Friday, when I have a few hours in the evening to lounge on the sofa but am too tired to find something to watch.

There is just one group which I never ignore. No, not my best friends, or family, or the one with my boss in it; the maid group. The one in which we ask, “Has anyone seen K today” and another replies “Yes, she has come. Working in A101 now.” And the day is made!

I guess it is the same for everybody.
Who has time to read other people’s blogs no matter how much we want to read? Maybe I should start sharing the links on the apartment women’s group instead. That's the one where most people seem to have the time to post, if not read.

1 comment:

  1. Haha, the maid group is a good idea. Am thankful that my current maid is very prompt at receiving calls, something I never encountered before. :D

    ReplyDelete